CLWRota Annual Forum 2010
16 September 2010
Our second annual Forum was held during the afternoon of the 16th of September at the Wellcome Trust in London. Over 55 attendees joined the Campbell-Lange Workshop team and the three speakers, each from a CLWRota client department, to discuss various aspects of running anaesthetics rotas. Attendees included consultants, managers and administrators from 30 different departments. The CLW team also presented new features coming up in the next release of CLWRota, and discussed future plans for the system.
The external speakers at the forum were:
- Dr Geoff Bedford, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle
"Improving efficiency through early allocation of theatre sessions"
- Donna Fox, Performance Manager, Coventry University Hospital
"Managing anaesthetics staff resources at a major University Hospital"
- Dr James Berrington, Bournemouth & Poole
"Deploying CLWRota in a large multi-site department"
Donna Fox, Performance Manager at Coventry University, spoke about how, in her position managing theatres and anaesthetics at this major teaching hospital, CLWRota has been used to construct an anaesthetics "Grand Plan". CLWRota has provided major benefits to UHCW's Anaesthetics department as shown in the "Benefits" section of Donna's talk below.
Dr Geoff Bedford, consultant rota master at the Freeman Hospital, spoke about his department's use of CLWRota. The Freeman is remarkable for the high utilisation rates of its theatres and staff, and for the fact that anaesthetics chairs the peri-operative division's theatre allocation meetings. Geoff explained the department's mode of operation and how it used CLWRota to enhance its already excellent anaesthetic staff and theatre to achieve allocation rates of 95% and above.
Dr James Berrington, consultant rota master at Bournemouth and Poole, spoke about why the joint departments of the two trusts, which work in over 42 theatres and encompass over 100 anaesthetists, had decided to adopt CLWRota and how the implementation of the system had progressed over the preceding 5 months.
The Bournemouth rota board before the adoption of CLWRota.
Attendees came from the following hospitals:
- Chase Farm Hospital, Enfield
- Chelsea and Westminster
- Colchester Hospital
- Conquest Hosptial, Hastings
- East Surrey Hospital
- Eastbourne District General Hospital
- Epsom General Hospital
- Freeman Hospital, Newcastle
- Great Western Hospital, Swindon
- Kent and Canterbury Hospital
- Kettering General Hospital
- Manchester Royal Infirmary
- Milton Keynes Hospital
- Moorfields Eye Hospital
- Northampton General Hospital
- Poole Hospital
- Royal Bolton Hospital
- Royal Free Hospital, London
- Royal Liverpool Hospital
- Royal Manchester Children's Hospital
- Royal Oldham Hospital
- Royal Preston Hospital
- Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle
- St. George's Hospital, London
- St. Helier Hospital
- St. Richards Hospital, Sussex
- Trafford General Hospital
- University College Hospitals, London
- University Hospital, Coventry
- Worcestershire Royal Hospital